‘I may die’ admits man jailed for climbing The Shard as he scales second London skyscraper in 10 days


A man jailed for climbing The Shard admitted he might die climbing his second London skyscraper in 10 days.

George King-Thompson climbed the Unex Tower in Stratford without ropes on Thursday, August 12, nine days after climbing the neighboring Stratosphere Tower.

Within ten minutes, George had reached the top of the 93-meter-tall building.

CONTINUE READING: The skyscraper in East London reveals why it did a death-defying stunt with no ropes

George climbed the neighboring Stratosphere Tower on August 3rd

The 21-year-old is aware of the risks of free climbing skyscrapers, but likes to get into dangerous situations.

He told PA, “It is never a dismissive comment to say that I might die. I am neither a pessimist nor an optimist – I am a realist.

“I could train as much as I want, but there’s always a small chance I might die.”

He added, “So that’s in the back of your mind, but once you’re in the building, when you’re doing your thing, there is no place for such thoughts; it’s only you in the moment to get what you came here for.

“You hang there with your fingertips. But when that’s all over and you’re alive and walking the streets as a person no longer in danger, that’s a pretty surreal feeling. “

The Unex Tower (right) and the Stratosphere Tower in Stratford

The climber insists on planning his ascent so that if he falls, he will not harm anyone.

It seems like “scare” is in the blood of this Bermondsey resident, as his poor mother has been since he was 10 years old.

He admits that she tried to stop him for many years but eventually gave in.

“She understood passion, always understood the passion. She encourages it,” he said.

“I want to spread a message of passion and I keep trying to push this forward to make my mother proud.”

George was sentenced to six months in Pentonville prison in 2019 for climbing the Shard.

For him, the prison was just another challenge.

He said, “A lot of people say how awful the prison is and is, but my whole thing is that I like to step into the fray, I like danger, so in a strange way I was completely at home there.

“I just like to look over my shoulder and don’t know what’s next.”

After his ascent to the Stratosphere on August 3, the Metropolitan Police announced that after receiving a call, they searched the area using a helicopter but could not find the climber.

The former personal trainer said he wanted to raise awareness of climate change through his climbs and chose what he calls the “Stratford duo” because they overlook the train station, which was inundated by flash floods in late July.

Would you like the best of London stories delivered straight to your inbox? Subscribe here to our newsletter.

Continue reading
Continue reading


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here