To help prevent monofilament fishing lines and hooks from entangling and killing marine life, especially pelicans, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission offers the following tips:
• Do not feed pelicans or other wildlife.
• Dispose of the monofilament cord properly. Keep unwanted lines safe until they can be recycled.
• Do not leave fishing lines unattended.
• Avoid throwing near trees, utility lines, and other areas where lines can become entangled.
• Check the device frequently for frayed cords that can break.
• Avoid cutting the line when a pelican is hooked. If possible, remove the hook carefully, otherwise contact a local wildlife rehabilitator. Find one at wildliferehabinfo.org;; and
• Use fish scrap repositories if available. If not, throw fish scraps in a trash can or at home.