The June 2021 Rec of the Month is the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center (STWFC), home of Campus Recreation at the University of South Carolina (UofSC).
UOFSC MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
The mission of UofSC Campus Recreation is to inspire and connect an active and strong UofSC community. The team works to positively influence the quality of life of the UofSC community and wholeheartedly contribute to the success of the students.
We do this based on three values:
- Continuous improvement – We reject complacency. We innovate to be effective, efficient and comprehensive, to manage our resources prudently and prudently, while measuring all risks.
- Customer oriented – We are attentive and able to meet UofSC’s needs. We balance the tension between service and security and remain customer-oriented in all decisions.
- unit – We build meaningful relationships with all stakeholders and believe that by harnessing the power of diversity, Campus Recreation will achieve infinitely more.
The STWFC is a comprehensive recreational facility with a wide range of indoor and outdoor activities for the UofSC. We offer water sports, athletic training as well as fitness, outdoor and sports programs. Our facility is available to students, full-time university members, their spouses and alumni members.
- Campus Recreation offers indoor and outdoor pools for swimming laps and relaxation. Guests can just laze around the outdoor pool or play beach volleyball on the sand. In addition to the indoor pool, there is also a dry sauna and a wet whirlpool.
Athletic training services
- UofSC Campus Recreation provides free sports training services to our campus community. Our program employs a certified sports coach and graduate assistants to handle our clinic as well as high risk events on campus.
- We have a variety of offers to connect and inspire our UofSC community to stay active and strong:
- Equipment in the weight room. In addition to the more than 250 strength and cardio offers, we recently created a room for 21 squat racks and seven platforms in order to best meet the needs of our customers.
- Group X. With over 65 live and virtual courses per week, our participants can choose from over 13 different formats and courses seven days a week.
- Personal training. With personal and personal online training, you can get fit anywhere.
Outdoor recreation (ORec)
- Adventure travel. ORec offers a variety of options for the outdoor experienced or those looking to try it out for the first time. From hiking and paddling to service and educational experiences, our team has something for everyone.
- Climb. With a height of 52 feet, our Nicros ART wall offers opportunities for bouldering, top rope and lead climbing. We have one of the tallest walls in the Southeaster Conference.
- Equipment rental. The ORec Hub has various land and water equipment for rent for the UofSC community.
- Intramural sports. Whether you are looking for a competitive sport or want to learn a new sport, intramural sport has something for you. UofSC students, lecturers and employees are entitled to take part in all of our offers. From leagues to tournaments to special events, we have as much competition and fun as you can fit into your schedule. We also have a long history of student development from an official standpoint as we have dispatched numerous officials to regional and national tournaments and even brought home several student NIRSA All-American Awards.
- Sports clubs. Sports clubs are student organizations founded and run by students. Our 55+ sports clubs look after around 2,500 members and offer a wide range of activities and experiences. Traditional sports like soccer and volleyball coexist with other activities like horse riding, martial arts and sailing. Commitment and intensity can also range from teaching and recreational activities such as our numerous dance club disciplines – from bhangra and moksha to contemporary and hip-hop dance – to competitions such as the 2019 MCLA Champion Men’s Lacrosse Club.
- Campus Recreation is the second largest employer of students on the UofSC campus.
- With its 192,000 square foot building and multiple outdoor fields, STWFC is one of the largest facilities on campus.
- STWFC just celebrated its 18th birthday this year.
- The outdoor pool is modeled on the iconic Horseshoe Gates of the UofSC with a palmetto tree in the background.
- UofSC President Robert Caslen trains in the gym every morning. He has started a PT with the President program that guides students through his training on Thursday mornings.
- Campus Recreation has had 34 tournament officials since 2004.
Brittany is an editor at Peake Media. Reach her at [email protected]